Positive Psychology is the science of well-being. This session introduces participants to a range of evidence-based positive psychology interventions. These interventions can both enhance their well-being and increase the level of success they can achieve in a wide variety of areas.
Positive Psychology is a relatively new branch of psychology often credited as being founded by Professor Martin Seligman in 1998. It is based on the concept of identifying and developing personal strengths, as opposed to the correcting deficits approach of traditional psychology. It uses evidence-based activities which help people not only to cope with everyday challenges and stresses, but to flourish, grow and engage with life on an optimal level whenever possible.
Main Topics Covered
Our Positive Psychology for Life session can include a wide range of topics. It is tailored for each group of participants depending on their particular needs.The most popular topics included are as follows:
- The role of positive emotions and how we can cultivate positive emotions through Positive Psychology Interventions. Positive emotions not only make us happier but also enable us to broaden our minds and build physical and mental resources. This session looks at the role of both positive and negative emotions. It explores the different types of positive emotions and the different ways to generate these emotions.
- Identifying and using our character strengths. We all have different strengths. It has been found that understanding what our key character strengths are and then using these strengths in different ways can significantly enhance our effectiveness as well as our well-being. The concept of “Strengths” and the role strengths play in achieving higher levels of success and well-being are explained. The session also looks at ways of identifying our own strengths and how to use these strengths in different ways.
- The key role relationships play in our well-being and success and how they can be enhanced. We all have a variety of relationships in our lives, including family, friends colleagues and many more. The way we connect and interact with others can have a very significant impact on our lives in a wide range of areas.
- Tools available to build our resilience. Developing resilience and managing stress are key elements in positive mental health and well-being. Resilience is a skill which can be developed, rather than a specific inbuilt disposition. Although we may start off with different levels of resilience we can enhance these levels significantly through skill development and practise. Therefore everyone can learn to become more resilient.
- Developing empowering self-beliefs and enhancing self-efficacy. The beliefs we hold have a very powerful impact on our personal happiness and on whether we achieve our true potential. The session looks are what beliefs are, the origin of our beliefs and their impact on our happiness and success. We also look at examples of common limiting beliefs and how we can develop empowering self-beliefs
Benefits of Positive Psychology
Here is a terrific Ted Talk from Shawn Achor, a leading expert in the field of Positive Psychology. He discusses the many benefits of enhancing our happiness through the use of positive psychology interventions.